– Several times in the past month, I’ve posted a link to a site where you can buy restaurant gift certificates for 60-70% off ($25 for $10, or $10 for $3). Some of the most popular restaurants in the city participate in the program – Stella, Big Foot Lodge, Grove Grill, Napa Cafe, Cafe Ole, and Molly’s La Casita just to name a few. Several of my readers have told me they’ve purchased and used these certificates.
Well, there’s now a site where you can view all the participating Memphis restaurants, as well as any special offers – Memphis Discount Dining. They’re currently running another special – until February 28, enter code DINE at checkout, and get 60% off – which would mean $25 certificates for $4, or $10 certificates for $1.20. This is definitely one to bookmark for the future.
– In other news… well, my big news is that I’ve joined a BBQ team for Memphis in May BBQ Fest. Got the invitation to join last night, and I jumped at the chance. I visited quite a few teams’ booths last year, but have never been a team member myself… I’m looking forward to it. Reminds me, I’ve got to put in a request to take Wed-Fri of BBQ weekend off when I get back to work. Wait, is Uncle Paul coming back this year? Maybe I need to take the entire week.
– Been searching online for a Big Mouth Billy Bass, the plastic mounted fish that sings “Take Me to the River,” so I can buy him and hand him over to the Flying Fish’s adoption service. (see my previous post for details about that) I want my name on the wall! Anyone know of any stores that sell them locally? I suspect that if I hopped in the car and took a drive to Frayser, I could probably find a Billy Bass.
While doing my search, I came across a site for Linux users that shows you how to hook Billy Bass up to your computer, hack his software, and make him say anything you want. Um… yeah… okay. Some people really don’t have enough to think about.
– Just found out about yet ANOTHER event to happen Saturday the 24th… Staxtacular, the annual fundraiser for the Stax museum. Tickets are $150 a person but you KNOW this will be a blowout of a party. It’s hosted by Brian and Danielle Cardinal, Damon and Natasha Stoudamire, and Pau Gasol. Live music by the Memphis Soul Survivors with Miss Nikki. Man… the 24th is absolutely packed with big events… usually you only see this many events jammed into one night in April and September when the weather is more agreeable.
– Tonight I’ll get a little work done at home, and then I’ll head to the Flying Saucer to see my waitresses. Tonight’s live entertainment at the Saucer will be provided by Swelter and by drunk Morgan Keegan accountants. Last night was “buy the beer, keep the glass” night, and the beer was Stella Artois, which comes in the nicest glasses of any beer I’ve seen. So I bought one, and when the guy next to me at the bar walked out without his glass, I got a second one.
All right… gotta make a Schnucks run before I head back to the cubicle. I’m outta here for now…