– Those of you stuck in cubicle hell need to check out this product – looks like something that can make cubicle life a little more bearable.
– Today at 4:30 PM there will be a press conference at Jay Etkin Gallery to announce the name, logo and site plan of the new fine arts festival to be held in the South Main Arts District October 26-28. Glad to see a new festival coming downtown, and if Jay’s involved you know it’s going to be good.
– Dr. Bob, the New Orleans artist who currently has a studio at 10 South Main, told me he has an exhibit at the Brooks Museum from now until June. Make sure you get by and see it and support a talented local artist. I still need to find out how much he’ll charge me to make one of his “Stamp Out Seriousness” signs.
– Speaking of 10 South Main… the apartment building has added a sticker to their outdoor sign advertising “HUGE SPECIALS on 1 and 2 bedroom apartments.” So, if you’re looking to move downtown, now might be a good time to do it. There’s a reason I’ve renewed my lease with them five times – it really is the best apartment building downtown. Full size W/D in every unit, rooftop deck with a hot tub and restaurant-quality grills, gym with cable TV in the basement, great neighbors, best Halloween party downtown every October, etc. Their number is 543-8356 if you want to call and make an appointment to see a unit… tell ’em you heard about it in my blog.
– With St.Patrick’s Day on a Saturday this year, you can bet a lot of the local bars will have parties. The one I recommend is the Sham-ROCK Green Carpet Bash at Big Foot Lodge, from 10 PM to 3 AM. $2 green 34 oz. Big Foot Beers, $2 green Jello shots. No cover charge, a live DJ, FM100’s Jill Bucco as the host, and a cash prize for the person wearing the most green. Shawn and the folks at Big Foot know how to throw a great party, believe me, so put this one at the top of your list.
I haven’t heard whether Dan McGuinness is throwing a St.Pat’s party this year, but I assume they are. I hope they’ve learned their lesson from last year, when the security they hired to work the doors turned out to be EXTREMELY rude and confrontational. I know for a fact that some of the regulars didn’t go back to McGuinness for a long time after that night. I’ve heard that McG has realized they screwed up and plan on handling things differently for future parties, so I think they’re worth a second chance.
– The City Schools are giving the people in the admin building a mini-spring break – we get to go home at 2 today and get tomorrow off. Yay for free time! I guess I’ll attend the press conference this afternoon, then spend most of the rest of the weekend watching March Madness and doing St.Pat’s stuff. Right now it’s back to the cubicle for a couple more hours though.
More posts to come this weekend. On deck: A pool-related post (meaning billiards, not swimming pools), a new dance organization in town, another idea to fight back against the panhandlers, and one last set of Sleep Out Louie’s pics taken at the final Sunday brunch.