– Question for my male readers: Can anyone recommend a THIN wallet that they really like? Someone last night commented that I have a “George Costanza wallet” – about an inch and a half thick – and it occurs to me that sitting on that thing all day probably has a lot to do with the pain I’ve experienced in my lower back and leg. Time for a new one. E-mail me if you have recommendations.
– So last night about 9:30 it occurred to me that I’m COMPLETELY out of toothpaste. No problem, I thought, I’ll run down the street to Walgreens and pick up a tube… OH, WAIT, THE DOWNTOWN WALGREENS CLOSES AT 8. Sorry, I know I’ve ranted about this before but… HOW RIDICULOUS IS IT that our neighborhood drugstore won’t stay open past 8 PM, when Number 10 Main, the Shrine Building, the Renaissance, the Claridge, the Exchange Building, the Springhill Suites, the Sleep Inn, the Comfort Inn, the Madison, the Holiday Inn Express, the Peabody, and the Residence Inn by Marriott are all within a 3-block radius. So many times I’ve been walking down Main at 8:30, 8:45, and seen people standing outside Walgreens with a dumbfounded “You’re kidding, it’s closed?” look on their face.
– Bon Ton Cafe, a breakfast/lunch spot on Monroe between Second and Third, now has wireless Internet, so add that as one more place to take your laptop. Bon Ton has great breakfasts and lunch specials. I believe they’re open until 3 PM weekdays, 2 on Saturday, closed Sunday.
– If you’ve been thinking about buying a Mac, iPod, or iPhone, this weekend would be a good time to do it. Friday through Sunday, April 27 through 29, Apple Stores nationwide will be open extended hours and will pay the sales tax for you. In a state like Tennessee that’s a pretty significant savings.
However, you may want to compare Apple’s prices against MacMall, Apple’s #1 reseller who often undercuts their prices. Even with the sales tax savings, MacMall may still have a better price… click the button below to check them out.
– Tonight’s Tuesday, so it’s time to see if the Rapscallions can win trivia and add another $50 to their prize stash. We finished out of the money last week, but at least I got to see the Nuh-Uh Sister in a tube top licking an ice cream cone… possibly the hottest thing I’ve seen since the Romanians left town last October.
– I’m turning back into Laptop Paul this week… I’m setting up my first Amazon.com aStore. aStores let you create your own personal store selling Amazon.com offerings, and every time your store sells an item you get a commission. I had an idea for a unique themed store yesterday and have begun work on it… will post a link when it’s ready, but I have a few hundred items to add first.
– A friend of mine who is a recruiter has a couple of .NET programmer positions open… if you’re a .NET programmer looking for work, shoot me an e-mail listing your qualifications, and I’ll pass it on to him.
That’s all for now… I have a few crawfish fest pics to post, but I have to download them from the camera first.