Vincent Marshall, 39, was arrested today at the Central Parking lot at Main and Peabody Place, according to this My Eyewitness News story. A couple told police that after they had parked at the lot, Marshall walked up and told them the machine that takes parking fees was broken, but that he’d take their $7. After giving it to him, the couple called police, believing that they had been scammed. MPD verified that Marshall did not work for Central Parking, and hauled him off to jail.
I did a search for Marshall on jssi.co.shelby.tn.us, and was not surprised by his arrest record, which includes:
- 6 counts of criminal trespass
- 6 counts of criminal impersonation
- 4 counts of possession of drug paraphernalia
- 4 counts of theft of property less than $500
- 3 counts of disorderly conduct
- 2 counts of burglary – motor vehicle
- 2 counts of obstructing a highway or passageway
- 1 count of panhandling
- 1 count of failure to appear
- 1 count of domestic assault – bodily harm
This is pretty typical of the arrest records of the panhandlers and scammers who beg as a profession in Downtown Memphis. In fact, I hate to say it, but Marshall’s record is shorter than others I have seen.
Just think… the next time you park a car Downtown and someone approaches you for money, this could very well be the type of person you’re giving it to. JUST SAY NO! Give to organizations that support the homeless if you want to help.