First off, I want to apologize to the fine folks at SMA and to Steve Cohen… I wasn’t feeling well at the meeting last night and left at 7:10, long before the meeting was over and before Rep. Cohen even arrived. Here are a few notes I took during the time I was there:
– Jodie Vance talked about the 3/50 project: Pick 3 Downtown businesses and commit to spending $50 a month total among them. I wonder if they can be bars… if that’s the case I’m already participating in this program, many times over.
– Judy Peiser from the Center for Southern Folklore took the stage. She needs volunteers for the Memphis Music & Heritage Festival they hold on Labor Day weekend, particularly early morning and late night shifts. She also talked about the FolkPass they sell for $50, which gets you VIP seating for the festival, you get to drink for free, and you get VIP benefits throughout the year. Here’s a list of FolkPass benefits… hmmm… free beer? That alone could make it a good deal for beer drinkers who plan to spend most of their time at the festival both days. Attn Rapscallions/BBQ team/people I hang out with, any interest in getting FolkPasses?
– A presentation was made for ARTitude, a group for young art lovers who want to support October’s RiverArtsFest.
– They announced that South of Beale is now open. Ed and Brittany who own the place are new SMA members.
– The bylaws passed. A lot of people seemed very relieved that there weren’t a lot of questions and discussion.
– Film Commission director Jimmy Tashie took the stage. This was around the time I started to not feel so well, so I left in the middle of his presentation. If anyone can fill me in on details of what happened after I left, I’ll post.
– And finally, a huge THANK YOU to the Happy Mexican who put out a great dinner buffet for members last night. A make your own taco and nachos bar, quesadillas, enchiladas, two kinds of fajitas, wings, rice and beans, and more. The Nuh-Uh Girl had 4 helpings.
On to other news… A Downtown couple has to move to Tucson and is trying to look for someone to take over their South Main condo that they are renting for $1700/mo. 3 stories, 3 BR (option for office on first floor), 3 full BA, 2 car garage. Loaded with amenities… for full details see this PDF.
I had a blog reader ask me when the Memphis Flyer will post their Best Of winners. I believe the issue comes out October 1. They don’t post the results online before the issue comes out because they want the winners to be a surprise.
Reminds me, now that it’s over, I’ll type up a post of who I voted for. I didn’t want to post that stuff while the voting was still open, for fear I’d skew the results. Look for a post on that topic soon.
The audit of Beale Street that was being done by a private accounting firm is done. According to their report, $6.4 million in Beale Street profits went unreported to the city, who should have received a big piece of the profits. Looks like Elkington’s in big trouble.
Here’s a link to a Motley Fool article on how to play blackjack. Being a poker player, why would I post a blackjack link? Well, because he talks about the interesting people you meet at the low-dollar tables. He played at a table with a lady one time who played a hand with her tube top pulled down for $100. Now that’s how to make a profit at blackjack. I highly recommend this strategy to my female readers – just make sure to tell me which casino you’re going to, and what time.
Don’t forget about the Majestic Grille reception tonight for their employees who are artists and musicians, from 5:30 to 7:30 PM. $10 for tastings of 3 wines of your choice from Casa Silva Winery, and complimentary hors d’oeuvres. Free food? Wonder if the Nuh-Uh Girl will show up. It’s also pint night at South of Beale tonight, with $3 pints.
… And that’s your Wednesday lunchtime post, a couple of hours late today. Outta here for now.