Friday is September 30, the last Friday of the month, and that means it will be South Main Trolley Night time! September often has the best weather of any Trolley Night of the year, and organizers are planning a big night, with a lot going on. Here are some of the activities that will happen from 6 to 9:
– Amy LaVere and John Paul Keith and the 145s will play at Earnestine & Hazel’s, for a fundraiser for Mayor Wharton
– A tentative appearance by Al Kapone has been scheduled; a rare chance to hear the creator of Hustle & Flow’s hit songs
– Rizzo’s Diner, Chef Michael Patrick’s new restaurant, will open. Call 523-2227 for reservations. Seating will be limited.
– Keith Sykes’ CD release party will happen at The Warehouse ($5 cover)
– Kyle Garriga will play on the deck of Max’s Sports Bar
– Mid-South Fashion Week kickoff at Sache
– Many shops and galleries will be open, some with complimentary wine, beer and appetizers (free food? Wonder if the Nuh-Uh Girl will show up.)
– The South Main Association will sell all-you-can-drink Ghost River beer for $5. They’ll also be selling wine and champagne ($4 and $5 respectively; unfortunately not all-you-can-drink like the beer).
– If all-you-can-drink is more than you need, Whitney and Brittney will be selling individual Ghost River beers at their stands for $3 a cup.
The trolley night is a celebration of Memphis music, kicking off the Memphis Music Foundation’s “Memphis Means Music” month. I’ll be down there and hope to see you there as well!
Relaxing Sunday Fun Day yesterday. Started the day with a few beers at the Saucer. Then I headed south to Max’s Sports Bar, where I was treated to a second BBQ discussion with members of Squeal Street. The rain started and I went inside and pretended to care about NFL football. Once the storm passed, I headed back north for a few more beers at the Saucer. I finished the night with Paul’s Drunkass Food at Wang’s, where I ended up watching “Hilbilly Handfishin'” with the owner and the bartender. As a friend of mine likes to say, don’t judge.
Plans for tonight: Well, it’s Monday, so Pint Nite at the Saucer of course. I’ll play it by ear whether I feel like going next door to the Goose for poker at 9.
WOOOHOOO! Just got some fantastic news! Details in this evening’s blog post.