I’ve got news of a couple of closings to kick off this blog post.
- 117 Prime will remain closed over the weekend to continue maintenance work. They apologized to their customers and said the work is just taking a little longer than they expected. They plan to reopen Tuesday, June 29.
- Max’s Sports Bar will be closed Sunday and Monday, but they’ll be open today and would love to serve you some BBQ nachos or a slushie. They’ll be back open Tuesday.
I tensed up yesterday when I saw an email in my inbox from the NST Law Firm – yep, home of good ol’ Corey B. Was I being sued? I was relieved when I opened it and found they had created a guide to driving in Memphis and were hoping I would share it with my readers. There’s actually a lot of good information in there and it will especially help people new to Memphis. Plus there’s a Corey B. Trotz chatbot that can help with any questions you have after reading the guide.
Artists’ market the Memphis Modern Market will return to Loflin Yard today 11 to 5.
Memphis Magazine has a tidbit about Good Fortune Co., the Asian-inspired ramen and noodle restaurant set to open in late July or early August. They’ll be in 361 S. Main, the former South of Beale space. Previously they’ve tried their dishes out at pop-ups around the city. They imported a noodle-making machine from Asia and their initial noodle style will focus on ramen.
Also in Memphis Magazine this week, Michael Donahue has a look at the deviled eggs at Felicia Suzanne Restaurant in his Classic Dining column. The restaurant offers salmon, bacon, and crabmeat deviled eggs. Can’t decide? They have an egg trio where you can get two halves of each type of egg.
On September 11, 2021, the 20th anniversary of September 11, there will be a fundraiser at Central Station Hotel to establish a scholarship fund for first responders and their families. Tennessee police, firefighters, medical personnel, dispatch, military, EMTs, and their spouses and children will be eligible for the scholarship. The evening’s entertainment will include
- Marine veteran Chris Turner (Top 20 iTunes chart/Forbes magazine country music artist)
- Army veteran Bobby Hemline (Purple Heart recipient, motivational speaker, comedian)
- Elaine Presley of the Presley Foundation (singer, songwriter, author)
- Marine veteran Stephen Cochran (VA research and development spokesman, numerous country music Top 40 hits)
There will be appetizers and a silent auction as well.
Okay, I gotta ask… what’s up with the refrigerated/frozen foods section at DGX lately? Is it a post-pandemic thing where somewhere along the supply chain, there aren’t enough workers to get those foods to Memphis and on the shelves? Is it a logistics thing, where the I-40 shutdown makes it too expensive to route climate-controlled tractor-trailers to Memphis? I notice Walgreens is having trouble keeping those items in stock too, but nowhere near as much as DGX.
It’s Pride Night with Memphis 901 FC for tonight’s match vs. Sporting Kansas City FC II. Here’s the schedule:
- Pre-match party at Atomic Rose (Second at Lt. George W. Lee, one block south of Beale) beginning at 4 PM with $4 well drink specials
- Prior to the match, Line 01, Memphis 901 FC’s drumline, will lead a march to AutoZone Park. That should happen around 6:45.
- Paula Raiford will smash the guitar pre-match
- Kickoff is 7:30 (more info about tonight’s match)
- Post-match party at Paula & Raiford’s Disco
Cordelia’s Market has started up Music Monday on the North Patio Mondays from 5 to 7 PM. Grab one of their beer buckets and enjoy the show.
In other Cordelia’s news, if you haven’t been vaccinated against COVID yet and would like to be, come out to the Market Saturday, July 10 between 10 AM and 3 PM. The mobile vaccination unit will be onsite and will be administering the Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines. Everyone who gets vaccinated at Cordelia’s that day will receive a free cold drink and hot dog. The goal is to get 100 of our 38103 neighbors vaccinated.
Country singer-songwriter Kelsey Lamb plays a free show from 3 to 6 this afternoon at Carolina Watershed.
That’s it for now. “Bars with affordable PBR prices” is my theme and plan for today. Back tomorrow with more news.