The Memphis Tigers beat the Tulane Green Wave to improve to 6-6 and become bowl-eligible. The latest projection I have seen has the Tigers facing Wyoming in the Hawai’i Bowl on Christmas Eve.
What a wild Iron Bowl that was! Alabama looked like a dead duck for most of the game and needed help from the NCAA’s new overtime rules to survive Auburn 24-22 in 4OT.
So here’s what we have for conference championship games of interest to those in the Mid-South (all games Saturday, December 4 unless otherwise noted):
- Pac-12 championship: Oregon vs. Utah in Las Vegas, 7:00 PM Friday, December 3, ABC
- Big 12 championship: Baylor vs. Oklahoma State in Arlington, Texas, 11:00 AM, ABC
- SEC championship: Georgia vs. Alabama in Atlanta, 3:00 PM, CBS
- American championship: Houston at Cincinnati, 3:00 PM, ABC
- Big Ten championship: Michigan vs. Iowa in Indianapolis, 7:00 PM, FOX
- ACC championship: Pittsburgh vs. Wake Forest in Charlotte, 7:00 PM, ABC
Implications for College Football Playoff:
- Georgia is almost certainly in, win or lose.
- Michigan and Cincinnati are likely in with a win
- Alabama is likely in with a win too, but let’s face it, it’s not gonna happen
- Oklahoma State will need a win and some help to get in
- Notre Dame is an independent and therefore does not play a conference championship game. It will need considerable help (like two of Michigan, Cincinnati, and Alabama losing) to get in
Wow… a college football playoff without Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, or Oklahoma. I like it. Time for some fresh faces in the CFP.
Looks like Memphis is in for some very nice weather this week, with temperatures warming into the 60s by Tuesday. Lows in the 50s are expected Thursday and Friday morning with highs those days reaching into the 70s.
Fox 13 has a look at holiday festivities that happened yesterday: The Downtown Christmas tree lighting and Grizz Shop Local.
Fox 13 also has a look at a Day of Service that recently happened at Hospitality Hub, an organization that connects the homeless with needed services.
The Better Business Bureau has info on how to avoid scams. The holiday season is peak time for scammers. If you have any older people in your life, especially share this list with them. My mom got taken by several scams in the final years of her life.
Championship Wrestling from Memphis has its television taping this afternoon from 2:00 to 4:45, and the taping will feature Swoggle Claus! That’s right, the artist formerly known as Hornswoggle will be there. (Hey, isn’t he Mr. McMahon’s son?) The location is 3296 Winbrook Drive and tickets are $10-$30. The VIP experience includes photos with Swoggle Claus.
Grassfire Bluegrass Band performs today at noon at Loflin Yard.
It’s back… the 17th annual Stumbling Santa pub crawl departs from the Flying Saucer Saturday, December 4. Come dressed as Santa (or Mrs. Claus, an elf, a reindeer, a Christmas tree, you get the idea) and bring an unwrapped toy so a child can have a merry Christmas. The Santas will gather at 7 PM.
Feelin’ Groovy Fest returns to the Ghost River taproom at 341 Beale today, featuring live music by Jeffrey and the Pacemakers, The Bugaloos, and Pam & Terry.
Teachers get 20% off at both Ghost River taprooms through the end of November.
I am very excited about today, because a lot of the different circles of friends I have run in the past 15 or so years will come together this afternoon for a celebration. So many of my favorite people together in one place. Back tomorrow with more news, or possibly Tuesday if tomorrow is a slow news day.