Yahoo! Sports ranked every 2023 college football season bowl game, all 41 of them, in terms of their potential to be good. December 29’s Liberty Bowl, featuring Iowa State vs. Memphis, comes in at number 19.
Blind Bear specials for this week:
- Tony’s famous cactus chili – Cactus, ground beef, diced tomatoes, onions, corn, Northern beans, spinach, rich broth with a kick; just the right amount of spice – cup 6, bowl 10
- Cajun chicken Alfredo – fettuccini noodles tossed in house-made Alfredo sauce topped with pan-seared Cajun chicken breast, green onions, and tomatoes; with garlic Texas toast – 18
- Peach cobbler – sweet tender peaches in a flaky golden crust topped with Margie’s 901 vanilla bean ice cream – 8
McKinney Wright pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2018 shooting of Memphis Chamber CEO Phil Trenary as Trenary was walking home from Loflin Yard. Wright will get 25 years without parole with credit for time served.
The Cornelia Crenshaw branch library will have holiday treats noon to 2 Saturday. Cocoa, treats, crafts, story time, photos with Santa (bring your smartphone or camera). 531 Vance.
Today is Light Up a Life Day… oooh… “You Light Up My Life” would make a great song to sing at Wednesday night karaoke at Blind Bear… here’s a video with lyrics.
Daaaang are we witnessing the fall of Christian Brothers University? This DM premium article indicates the school will lay off about 30 faculty members this week in an effort to balance the books. The university announced earlier this fall that it’s looking to cut $4 million. It sounds like even tenured faculty – normally close to untouchable – could be on the chopping block.
Memphis Crisis Center seeks a call center representative.
Force Dance comes to the Renasant Convention Center Friday-Sunday.
There’s a Downtown Beer Runners group departing from the Downtown Wiseacre taproom tonight at 6:30. 3-mile run then post-run beers.
DJ Flame spins hip-hop this Friday at Eight & Sand Lounge in Central Station Hotel.
Random thought: If Montgomery, Alabama has a college football bowl game, why doesn’t Little Rock have one? They’re both state capitals. Little Rock has the edge in city population (204,405 to 200,603) and in metro population (748,031 to 386,047). Montgomery has better December weather (avg. 61/39) but Little Rock’s (avg. 53/33) is similar to Memphis which has the Liberty Bowl.
Today’s specials at Bardog:
- Carne asada street tacos – onion, cilantro, salsa, corn tortillas – $18
- Salisbury steak – mushroom & onion gravy. With squash, zucchini, snd msc & cheese – $19
- Soup: Crawfish bisque
- Dog: Onions, pickles, tomato, mustard, ketchup
- Mussels: Garlic butter, white wine, tomato
- Pecan pie
That’s it for this morning. Back soon with more news.