Mighty Lights, the organization that lights up Big River Crossing and the Hernando de Soto bridges, announced that last night and tonight, the bridges will light up in yellow and blue in support of democracy in Ukraine. Good call by the Mighty Lights organization.
The Memphis Tigers got it done yesterday with an 81-57 road win against Wichita State. The Tigers travel to South Florida for a must-win game Thursday. Then they come back home for Senior Day vs. Houston on Sunday for a sure-would-be-nice-to-win game.
It looks like Putin’s war in Ukraine is not going well. Some things I learned from CNBC this morning:
- Russia has not managed to capture any major Ukrainian cities. Ukrainians have destroyed entire convoys of Russian equipment. Russian fighters’ morale is said to be low.
- The Russian stock market is closed today. When Russian citizens are able to access the banks, they may find that their savings are worth less than half what they were last week.
- It’s possible Russian oligarchs will have yachts, jets, and condos seized in cities like Miami this week; with their lifestyle and their ability to accumulate wealth upended, they could turn on Putin.
Across America, bars are dropping Russian vodka brands and instead purchasing Ukrainian vodka brands like Vektor and Kozak. I don’t know how possible it is to get Ukrainian brands in Memphis bars, but you could always support local brand Old Dominick instead of Russian brands.
Not gonna name the restaurant since I consider the people there friends, but damn, some of y’all getting REAL uppity with your prices at crawfish boils. 25 bucks for one pound? You can get 2 pounds for a few dollars less than that at other Downtown Memphis crawfish boils.
The Grizzlies host San Antonio tonight at 7. It’s HBCU Night at the Grizzlies. Local broadcast on Bally Sports Southeast. Be one of the first 100 to get vaccinated next door at the Rock & Soul Museum 5-7 PM and score two free tickets.
Someone has been stealing urinal cakes from the urinal in the Blind Bear’s men’s room. The person who would be my number-one suspect is on a Las Vegas trip right now, so I suppose he has plausible deniability. Unless… all that twerking on social media was just a ruse so he could get those urinal cakes.
Follow the Kyiv Independent on Twitter for English-language news from Ukraine’s capital city.
An explanation of how to pronounce the Ukrainian capital, for all those who are confused today 🇺🇦 pic.twitter.com/f9Geu0h5gN
— Nina Jankowicz (@wiczipedia) November 13, 2019
FedEx has suspended services into Russia.
Breaking news: First Horizon, headquartered at Madison and B.B. King Blvd., was sold this morning to Toronto-Dominion Bank in a $13.4 billion transaction.
STIX Express, the Asian restaurant on Second, has announced its combo meal for the month of March. For $20 you get
- A ginger salad
- An order of Bluff City Nachos – crispy wonton chips topped with spicy crab, avocados, jalapenos, and sweet soy
- A South Main Roll – salmon and cream cheese, flash-fried and topped with sweet soy and spicy aioli
Bridge inspections will close lanes on the I-40 bridge beginning today and lasting for a few weeks.
Daaamn… Switzerland is going to forego its traditional Swiss neutrality and put the same sanctions on Russia as the EU countries. The world really is coming together to back Putin into a corner.
There’s a New Moon Manifestation Sound Bath at the Broom Closet tonight. $20 “energy exchange” to participate.
Wale performs at the Cannon Center Wednesday night.
That’s it for this post. I’ll be keeping up with CNN live updates on Ukraine all day. Back tomorrow with more.