- Before we get started, let me remind everyone that today is the last day to buy discount restaurant gift certificates for 60% off and get an additional $10 certificate free with every order. That means that instead of getting a $25 face-value certificate for $10 (regular price), you can get it for $4 (60% off) and get an additional $10 certificate for free on top of that. Not bad! Just click on the links on the left panel of this blog, visit Memphis Discount Dining, or visit Restaurant.com and use code APRIL at checkout.
- Some events coming up this week… Mpact Memphis will have an After Hours at the Orpheum this Wednesday, May 2, from 6 to 8 PM. Great food, cocktails and door prizes. Here’s a flyer with more details (click for a larger image):
Mpact will have another After Hours Tuesday, May 22 from 7 to 9 PM… unfortunately, I won’t be able to make that one because that’s my trivia team’s night at the Flying Saucer. ….Oh, wait a minute… yes I WILL be able to make that one, because the After Hours will be at the Saucer!!!! Cool! More details to come about that one as the date approaches.
- I promised you a funny story about the Flying Saucer that had to wait until after the weekend… now I can post it, so here ya go. Friday afternoon I was at work and got a call from my friend Mikey, who was sitting at the bar. “Paul, the manager wants to talk to you,” Mikey told me, and handed him the phone. The manager? I wondered if maybe I forgot to pay my tab the night before, or something.
“Paul, we’re having a 10th birthday party Saturday night,” the manager informed me. “You’re the guy who dressed up as a Saucer girl for Halloween last year, aren’t you? We were wondering if you’d be willing to dress up in the costume and jump out of a cake at 10 PM.”
Of course, I had to tell him no, since two of my good friends had a birthday party of their own – on my building’s roof – that night. But, for those of you who attended the Saucer’s birthday that night, just know that you narrowly missed seeing me dressed as the Beer Goddess yet again. Never fear, though, Halloween is only six months away, and as of yet I haven’t come up with any costume alternatives.
- A friend of mine who stopped by EP’s Delta Kitchen after the party – pretty late in the evening, around 2 AM – told me that the place was PACKED, particularly the upstairs balcony. He said it was a nice looking crowd and a young crowd. He said it got so busy that EP’s was starting to run out of stuff. Hmmm, I’ll have to put that on my list of places to check out late-night. Downtown just keeps getting better and better.
- The Center City Commission’s “Inside Downtown” group will meet this Thursday at 4:30 to take a tour of the “New Main” block between Main and Gayoso. Once a boarded-up, blighted eyesore, New Main has come to life with new restauarants (Wang’s, Sauces), an eye clinic, a dentist, apartments, condos, and more in the works. The group will meet at 4:30 at Wang’s (Main at Gayoso) for a presentation by CCC president Jeff Sanford, then take the tour. They ask that you RSVP if you plan on attending – you can e-mail Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know.
- The Memphis Flyer e-mailed me this morning – they’re looking for an IT director. It’s a Mac workplace, although knowledge of Windows is also necessary. Need FileMaker Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and pre-press skills, as well as graphic design, cutting-edge web techniques, and network security skills in your tool bag. If this sounds like the right job for you e-mail me and I’ll pass you on to the right person.
- That’ll do it for now… still working on my new online store, which is close to being done. I hope to roll it out to the public tonight or tomorrow. Probably will NOT attend Pint Nite tonight so I can work on the store… if I get it rolled out tonight I’ll head up there for a celebratory beer late in the evening, maybe 10, 11ish.
Got lots of pics to post as soon as I download them from my camera – got about 50 pics from Wine Race yesterday (enough that I’ll have to do a photo album), a few pics from the ’70s party I attended this weekend, and some other stuff. So be sure to check back often. Happy &?@%ing Monday everyone.