Just for kicks, I decided to dress up as a troll yesterday. While dressed up and talking to tourists at the bar, I learned there is a troll museum in Alliance, Ohio.
I’m probably gonna dress up again today, because it’s Halloween. Let’s have a look at who all are celebrating with special festivities today:
- Bass Pro will have a candy hunt and digital photo download from 5-7 PM
- Bardog will have a costume contest with $200/$100/$50 cash to the winners
- Blind Bear will have Scare at the Bear with DJ Tree from 9 until at least 1; drink specials; weekly food specials (see list below); costume contest
- Silky’s will have a Nightmare on Beale Street party starting at 7. DJ Taz, costume contest.
- Atomic Rose will have a masquerade ball tonight starting at 8. Prizes, $5 jack-o-lantern shots, DJ Ron with the music.
A personal note: If you see me out tonight (most likely at Bear or Bardog) and feel like buying your favorite blogger a PBR or a shot, it would be much appreciated. I’ve been drinking mainly Cokes/Pepsis out at the bars lately, but tonight there are going to be crowds and I deal with those much better when I have a light buzz.
The Blind Bear has posted its weekly menu specials:
- White chicken chili – Northern beans, carrots, onions, jalapenos, red bell peppers, chili peppers – cup 6, bowl 10
- BBQ brisket sandwich – Slow-roasted beef brisket drizzled with BBQ sauce, topped with house-made coleslaw 18
- Blueberry shortcake – House-made white cake topped with boozy blueberries and house-made whipped cream 8
The Memphis Grizzlies have dropped to 0-4 following a 125-110 loss to Dallas at FedExForum last night. Memphis will now hit the road for a game against Utah and two against Portland.
The Grizzlies’ home floor will have a new look during NBA in-season tournament games. The CA has a preview. The new floor will debut at the November 10 home game vs. Utah.
The DM stopped by Wayne’s Candy Co. on Downtown’s south end to see how Halloween business is doing.
Today’s the last day for the 3-month sales tax holiday on groceries in Tennessee.
The annual Downtown Christmas tree lighting is set for Saturday, November 18 (my birthday!) Photos with Santa from 4:30 to 6 PM. Margie’s 901 hot chocolate. I wonder how many Downtowners will bring flasks and spike their cup of Christmas cheer?
Let’s have a look at college football games of interest to Memphians this Saturday.
- 25 Kansas State at 7 Texas, 11:00 AM, FOX
- Texas A&M at 11 Ole Miss, 11:00 AM, ESPN
- UConn at 19 Tennessee, 11:00 AM, SEC Network
- Arkansas at Florida, 11:00 AM, ESPN2
- Army at 17 Air Force, 1:30 PM, CBS Sports Network
- South Florida at Memphis, 2:00 PM, ESPN+
- Louisiana at Arkansas State, 2:00 PM, ESPN+
- 14 Missouri at 1 Georgia, 2:30 PM, CBS
- 10 Oklahoma at Oklahoma State, Bedlam rivalry game, 2:30 PM, ABC
- Auburn at Vanderbilt, 3:00 PM, SEC Network
- 5 Washington at 24 USC, 6:30 PM, ABC
- 13 LSU at 8 Alabama, 6:45 PM, CBS
- 16 Oregon State at Colorado, 9:00 PM, ESPN
That is a LOADED slate of college football – unlike last Saturday, which was rather weak. The 11 AM hour is especially stacked. If you want a good table/seat at Max’s Sports Bar for the games, my advice would be to be standing outside the door at 10:30 that morning. Remember, folks, whether or not you are an LSU fan, Purple Drank is always an appropriate gameday beverage.
The first version of the committee’s official College Football Playoff top 25 rankings will be released today at 6 PM on ESPN. Note that the team ranks listed above are from the AP poll. I will not be updating them once the CFP poll is released, but in future weeks I will use the official CFP ranks rather than the AP for my game lists.
That’s it for now. Happy Halloween.