The St. Louis Cardinals and Memphis Redbirds have announced that Yadier Molina will remain in Memphis through Sunday on a rehab assignment. Yadi was designated hitter in Thursday night’s game, batting second. Let’s look at what’s going on at today’s and tomorrow’s games.
Saturday (first pitch 6:35)
- When you buy a $17 field box ticket, you get a $10 concessions credit
- The first 1500 kids 12 and under receive a free Junior Fire Marshal helmet, courtesy of The Hartford which is celebrating 75 years of fire safety education
- A specialty ticket gets you a replica of the 2006 World Series trophy (Yadi was on that team, and the catcher’s mask he wore for the Series is in the Baseball Hall of Fame)
- Fireworks after the game
Sunday (first pitch 2:05)
- The 2006 World Series trophy specialty ticket will return
- $10 field box and dugout tickets
- Kids 12 and under get a Prairie Farms ice cream treat
- Kids run the bases after the game
Edible Memphis reports that Helena, Arkansas’ Delta Dirt Distillery’s sweet potato vodka will hit the streets of Memphis soon.
As for Downtown Memphis’ distillery, Old Dominick, it’ll have a Service & Sip on Thursday, August 11. Participants will divide into teams and give some of the streets of Downtown Memphis a badly-needed cleaning. After that, everyone will reunite at Old Dominick, where each participant will get a free drink ticket. Feast & Graze will provide snacks.
Today is the last day of early voting in Shelby County.
If watching TBD vs. TBD in freezing cold weather is your thing, you can buy a ticket to the Liberty Bowl beginning Monday. The game is December 28 at 4:30 PM. Most years the bowl features an SEC team vs. a Big 12 team.
We now know what that ancient relic stolen from the Belz Museum was: The CA reports it was a 250-year-old white jade teapot. A man took the teapot Sunday. The museum was closed at the time.
While you were paying upward of five bucks a gallon at the pump, Exxon recorded $17.9 billion profit for Q2 2022, up from $4.7 billion for Q2 2021. Doesn’t that make you want to buy an electric car? Or a bus pass?
It’s National Cheesecake Day. Cheesecake Corner on G.E. Patterson is the place to celebrate.
Tonight’s the Machine Gun Kelly Wing Ding at Blind Bear.
Singer-songwriter Bri Marie plays the front porch of South Point Grocery today from noon to 2.
Comma Comedians come to the Clover Club at B.B. King and Court tonight, headlined by Dedrick Flynn.
WWE SummerSlam broadcasts live from Nashville today. Interesting note: WWE has been holding open tryouts in Nashville all week. None other than former NBA center Dwight Howard stopped by for a tryout. At 36, he’s past his prime in the NBA, but in pro wrestling, prime years tend to be 35-42. He’d be a natural heel who has the size and who could draw some money.
That’s it for this post. Back tomorrow.