There’s a screaming deal going on today, Saturday, January 24, only: Get a year of Amazon Prime, normally $99, for only $72. Although I am not a Prime member myself, my “DAWG” John D is and he loves it, and this is widely being acclaimed as one of the best deals to come down the pike in quite some time. As a Prime member you get:
- Free two-day shipping on almost all orders
- If you don’t need your stuff right away, a $1 digital credit when you choose a slower shipping method
- Amazon Pantry, where you can order 45 pounds of groceries for a $6 shipping fee
- Instant Video including HBO
- One million free songs
- Unlimited photo storage that can be linked to any device
- Kindle Lending Library, where you can borrow one of 600,000 books at no additional charge
- Kindle First, where you can buy one of four “editors’ pick” books a month before release for $2
- Exclusive deals on third-party products
- Share Prime’s shipping benefits with up to four people
The International Blues Challenge Finals are today at noon at the Orpheum. $42.50 ticket. Doors open at 11 and there will be a silent auction preceding the finals.
After the finals, IBC week wraps up tonight with the VizzTone Blues Party on Beale, an all-star party at Rum Boogie Cafe hosted by Bob Margolin. Things kick off at 10:30 and special guests will include Little G Weevil, Gina Sicilia, Erin Harpe, and Brandon Santini.
Folks from High Cotton Brewery will be guests on the Memphis Craft Beer show today on WREC AM 600 at noon. The brewery’s taproom on Monroe is open 4-9 Thursday through Saturday and you can have a beer at the bar or get your growler filled. There are often food trucks parked outside if you need a snack with your beverage.
Last night I took my new iPhone 6, charged to 100%, out with me. I stayed out four and a half hours. Battery remaining when I got home: 92%. That’s impressive. And remember, I have the “little” iPhone 6: The 6 Plus has an even bigger battery. The real battery test will come tomorrow, when I’m out all day and in the evening I watch the 3-hour Royal Rumble on my WWE Network app.
The Grizzlies host the Philadelphia 76ers this evening at the FedExForum. 7 PM tip-off. Meanwhile, the Tigers have an away game at Tulane, broadcast on ESPNU, also 7 PM start.
The Pinch could lose its listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Less than half of the historic buildings in the district at the time it was certified are still standing.
This is sad: One-third of the world’s gorillas and chimpanzees have died of Ebola since the 1990s. Our nearest relatives could soon be facing extinction if the trend continues.
Saturday morning and it’s business as usual. Panda Time at Bardog at 11, then over to the Blind Bear 1-2ish where my favorite pair of librarian glasses will be bartending. Rest of today to be figured out as I go. Time to get it started.