Fire in my building Wednesday night: Info and thank-yous

I’ve been talking to my neighbors and messaging my landlord, Henry Grosvenor, and I’ve been getting more details on the fire that broke out on the 15th (top) floor of Number 10 Main Wednesday night about 10 PM. I would like to say thank-you to a few people and organizations:

  • First and foremost, my neighbor on the 15th floor who heard a smoke alarm going off next door and then started smelling smoke. He ran next door and banged on the door until the man in the apartment, who had left food on the stove and then fell asleep, woke up. The neighbor’s actions kept the damage from being much worse than it was and possibly saved a life.
  • Memphis Fire Department. Despite the fire happening on the top floor of a high-rise, they were on it and had it contained in minutes. Six units were damaged, but a lot more would have been had it not been for their quick and professional response.
  • Hotel Napoleon. The boutique hotel at Third and Madison offered a small discount on hotel rooms for residents displaced by the fire.. They are a good neighbor and a good member of the Downtown community. (Hotel rooms were covered by insurance, and no resident had any out-of-pocket expense.)
  • My neighbors who were affected by the fire, who have been very understanding about the situation despite being inconvenienced through no fault of their own.
  • And finally, Henry himself, who was up well past midnight getting ServPro out here to minimize the damage, and arranging the Hotel Napoleon rate.

To make it clear, this fire did not happen because of any structural defect of Number 10 Main.

No one was hurt in the fire.

For my neighbors, Henry is thinking of arranging a Fire Safety meeting in the near future. Watch the announcement boards on the elevators for details.

My unit was not affected by the water damage but I got very lucky. If the water damage had spread to two or three more units it probably would have got me.

Back at lunchtime with a regular post.