First of all, if you’re looking for my Deal of the Week, it has moved to my new blog on the Commercial Appeal. I’ll be posting my first Deal there later today, after I spend some time going through the Sunday paper.
And now, down to business. Here are some upcoming dates to put on your calendar:
– If you like the Flying Saucer and you like The Dempseys, this is the week for you. They’ll be playing the Downtown Saucer Thursday night the 20th at 9:30. I’m gonna have to leave the Peabody rooftop party early to make it to this one. For those of you who live in Cordova, Germantown, and Collierville, they’ll be playing the East Bumblefuck Flying Saucer on Germantown Parkway Friday night the 21st at 9:30.
– Saturday the 22nd is the fifth annual Venus Envy show, starting at 7 pm at Glasshouse 383 on South Main. Venus Envy is an all-female show of visual and performing arts. I’ve been to three of the previous four Venus Envys (I had to miss last year due to a schedule conflict) and it is one of the best art events of the year. In addition to art, they’ll have female bands, poets, and belly dancers performing. This will be a fun night. Admission is $8 in advance (tickets can be purchased at Glasshouse 383 or online) or $10 at the door. All proceeds fund the Venus Envy Memphis scholarship for a female student at Memphis College of Art.
– The 22nd is also the Pimp and Ho party at Senses. As much as I like dressing up in the blue leisure suit, dollar sign medallion and gold teetheses, I’m probably not going to make it to this one.
– Sunday the 23rd is the Rajun Cajun Crawfish Fest downtown, on Wagner between Union and Beale. It runs from noon to 6. Needless to say, I’ll be there. In addition to the food, there will be bands and crawfish races.
– The dance troupe Project:Motion presents Metallurgy: The Properties of Dance at Theatreworks later this month. Dates are April 28-29 and May 4-6 at 8 pm, April 30 and May 7 at 2 pm. I’ll be there on one of the days that doesn’t conflict with Music Fest, not sure which day yet.
– Our Big Fat Greek Festival at the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church is Friday-Saturday, May 12-13, from 11 am to 8 pm at 573 N. Highland. Delicious food and Greek culture.
– Memphis in May Music Fest May 5-7, BBQ Fest May 18-20, and Sunset Symphony May 27. Visit their website for more details. The country they’re honoring this year is Costa Rica.
– Last night’s fireworks display at the Redbirds game got cancelled by the fire marshal because it was too windy. No word yet on whether it will be rescheduled.
And of course, the Paul Goes To Sleep Out Louie’s And Gets Drunk Festival kicks off in about an hour, so I better get going. Happy Easter, and if there are any events not on here that the world needs to know about, drop me an e-mail!