– Looks like Court House Deli will be moving from their home on Court Square to the building on the Main Street Mall, between Madison and Monroe, formerly occupied by I. Siegel Culinary Productions. Hope the new move works out for them, and exposes them to people who haven’t given them a try before, because they have GREAT food. My favorites are the cajun chili and the crawfish etoufee. They also have jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, and deli sandwiches. And excellent brownies. It’s a locally owned family business and you can get out of there for 5-6 bucks.
– Congrats to the Flying Saucer on being named one of the top 100 bars/clubs in the U.S. by Nightclub & Bar Magazine, the trade magazine for the restaurant, bar and club industry. Even though I snipe at the Saucer about little things from time to time in this blog, I have to agree, they totally deserve the award. They deliver a very consistent dining and drinking experience, and it’s just a good place to get some work done on their wireless Internet connection, or watch the game on TV, or shoot pool, or throw darts, or educate yourself on different styles of beers. And they consistently hire good people. Sure, there’s the miniskirt thing (and I’m not going to lie, I do look), but once you get past that, the bartenders and waitresses are some of the most interesting and intelligent people downtown. They’re the main reason I come back almost every day.
– Speaking of the Saucer… don’t forget, The Dempseys tonight at 9:30. Usually when they play the Saucer, it’s a work night for me and I only make it through their first set and sometimes their second. But since I have tomorrow off, it’s a sure bet I’m there for all three of their sets. And then I’ll probably stumble across the street to McGuinness. I’m disappointed that I didn’t make it to any of their shows in December, when they usually do some rockabilly interpretations of Christmas music.
– I fulfilled one of my vacation-time goals last night… to stop by the Black Diamond for a pizza and a PBR. I’m eating the leftover pizza as I type this.
– Sharp Dressed Bum has reappeared on Downtown streets. For those of you who haven’t had the displeasure of meeting this guy, he’s about 5’9″, 150 lbs., approximately 35 year old black male with goatee. He walks around Downtown streets (especially Monroe, Union, Main, and Second) begging for money. Sometimes he’ll ride on a bike. He usually dresses better than other bums, with well-pressed clothes that make him look like he’s on his way to a club. If you tell him “no” when he asks for money (and why on earth would you tell him “yes”), he’ll cuss at you and act like he’s going to come at you.
I know I’ve been asking my readers a lot of questions lately, but I’d like to ask one more, especially to any police officers or lawyers who might be reading this: When he acts like he’s going to come at me, that’s assault, right? Whereas, it’s battery if he actually makes contact. Any strategies you can recommend for getting this guy off the streets and in a jail cell? He’s been a nuisance downtown for three years now and I know a lot of people are sick of seeing him.
– I’ve gotten some good responses to the question I posed on behalf of one of my readers yesterday: Where should a woman in her late 40s go to meet men? And not just any men, but men who don’t use hairspray or have comb-over hairstyles. I’m going to give readers one or two more days to respond, then do a follow-up post.
– Congrats to the Grizzlies on their 144-135 victory last night at the FedExForum. I think Coach Barone has hit on the key element to ensure success for the team: They’re having fun. Wonder if there’s a chance Barone will be named the permanent head coach?