It’s Black Friday! Hopefully you’re not hopping in the SUV to head to Target or Best Buy or the mall for the 5 AM Black Friday sale – that kind of thing is SO Cordova. To help you locate gifts for Downtowners, I’ve decided to put together a Black Friday shopping guide.
First of all, check out Amazon.com’s Black Friday page for a lot more Black Friday deals than you’ll find at any store or mall – plus no sales tax, and many of the items are eligible for free Super Saver shipping.
Now let’s talk about gifts specifically for Downtowners… a flask is always a great gift idea, to sneak concealed booze into special occasions. Here are links to a few flasks that Downtowners would love:
- A pink Girls Nite Out flask (pictured at left)
- A flask hidden inside “The Good Book” (a play on the Bible. Any book containing booze is a VERY good book)
- An Anne Taintor “Must be 5 o’clock somewhere” flask
- An ultra slim hip flask
- A skull and crossbones flask
- Another skull and crossbones flask with bonus 1 oz. second flask that can be carried on a keychain
- A Superman flask
- A Confederate flag flask (hmmm maybe that one’s more appropriate for a Cordova or North Mississippi gift buying guide, but whatever).
- Then there’s the cell phone flask that my friend Terry recently got for his 50th birthday. Hey, I just realized, Terry’s old enough to join the Red Hat Society now!
- Hundreds more flasks here.
A cooler to keep beer, wine and liquor cold is another thoughtful gift for a Downtowner.
- A floating cooler (pictured at left) is a great way to keep your beer cold in the summer at the swimming pool
- If you know someone who likes to throw big parties, you can give them a huge 100-quart wheeled cooler
- The 36-can soft cooler is another great idea
- A cooler backpack is a great way to carry booze to outdoor events such as the annual Downtown Wine Race in April
- Or how about a remote-controlled cooler that will fetch your beer for you
- Or give the ultimate cooler gift, a motorized cooler scooter.
- Thousands more coolers here.
Other thoughtful gifts for Downtowners include:
- Hangover cures
- A book called The Imbible which bills itself as “drinking games for times you’ll never remember with friends you’ll never forget”
- Modern Drunkard, the book version of the magazine
- Or how about a book on the 50 beer brands that shaped the 20th century
- Or a book on how to beat the rap if you get a DUI (that’s actually a present for Cordovans, since Downtowners don’t drive to bars. Also, side note to Susie, is the author a relative of yours?)
- The Professional Bartenders’ Handbook not only teaches how to mix drinks, but also the “tricks of the trade” of being a bartender
- Then there’s a Low Carb Bartenders’ Handbook for people like my health guru AL
- This 9-piece cocktail set is a great gift for the Downtowner who throws parties
- As is an electric martini maker.
- As is a wine opener
- This beer boot is a great way to enjoy beer as they do at Oktoberfest
- Or maybe the recipient would like a double-walled beer stein
- Or maybe a Simpsons pint glass that’s also a drinking game.
For Downtowners who are Memphis Tigers fans, why not give the gift of time? You can choose from about 100 Memphis Tigers watches here. Or you can buy Memphis Tigers jewelry, choosing from a selection of earrings, necklaces, bracelets, pendants, and charms. If you’re more into pro teams, you can shop for Memphis Grizzlies watches and jewelery, or you can commemorate the Tennessee Titans’ amazing season with watches and jewelry. Are you a fan of some other team? Find what you’re looking for here: College watches… college jewelry… NFL watches… NFL jewelry… NBA watches… NBA jewelry… NHL watches… NHL jewelry… Major League Baseball watches… Major League baseball jewelry
Do you know someone who consistently loses at pool, over and over again, to the point of embarrassment? I do. His name’s Pete. But anyway, a pool training ball is a great gift to help that person improve their game. It will teach them where to shoot for different types of English and bank shots. Or you may want to get a paper arm trainer that they can lay on the table itself to help direct their shots. If you want to go high-tech, you can get them an electronic pool training aid, or a laser-sighted cue stick to help them line up shots. Maybe a pool training video is what they need. Or maybe you can confuse them with a crazy 8 ball that doesn’t behave like a normal ball when hit.
When you give a hot girl a tube top, you’re not only giving a gift to her, but to men in general. The Tube Top Boutique has hundreds of tube tops in all shapes and sizes, and has recently added tube tops being sold on eBay for an even larger selection.
The Skank-o-ween costume store has hundreds of skanky outfits. These would make great gifts to your girlfriend if you enjoy seeing her dressed up as a slut in the privacy of your own home. Better yet, dress her up and bring her out in public so we can have a look too! Slutty costumes: They’re not just for Halloween.
Restaurant.com sells $25 gift certificates to popular restaurants for only $10. They’re a way to give your family and friends great dining experiences while saving 60%. Big Foot Lodge, Blue Fin, Blue Plate Cafe, Cafe 61, Circa, Green Beetle, Ground Zero, McEwen’s, Onix, Papa Pia’s, The Pier, Safari, Sauces, Silky O’Sullivan’s, Stella, Superior Bar on Beale, and TGI Friday’s are among the Downtown restaurants that are part of the program; there are dozens more elsewhere in Memphis. The Dinner of the Month on Restaurant.com lets you give the gift of dining out once a month for 3, 6, or 12 months.
More thoughtful gift ideas:
- A pocket-sized digital camera with super zoom
- An electric blanket is a thoughtful present for people who tend to be cold all the time
- If you know a coffee lover, how about a single serve coffee maker?
- If you know someone who’s too lazy to vacuum, get them a robotic vacuum cleaner. Also a great gift for anyone who has a cat
- Outdoor turkey fryers are popular this time of year
- Noise canceling headphones make thoughtful gifts for people who crave peace and quiet
- A pocket breathalyzer might be a good gift if you know someone who doesn’t use good judgment about driving after they drink
- Last but not least, check out some of the great deals at The Doo Doo Store. They have the book Walter the Farting Dog for only 71 cents, and you can get What Bird Did That? A Driver’s Guide to Common Birds of North America for only a penny. They also have a collection of unique toilet seats that would make interesting gifts.
Hope this list helps you get started… happy shopping, and a happy holiday season!