Fri update: Bardog alley party, Citizens’ police academy, 3-4-5 happy hour, lots of Elvis stuff, Free the Helmsman, Aquanet @ Club 152, Godfather II, Redbirds and MFM news

Recommended attire for the Bardog alley party on Sunday: a tube top

Breaking news about the Bardog alley party this Sunday: The lovely Tawni Bell has agreed to shave her head if $2000 can be raised for St. Jude. You can bring donations to the bar between now and Sunday in an envelope marked “Tawni Bell Baldness Pledge.” Of course, I’m sure they’ll be taking donations at the party as well.

The MPD South Main Station is accepting enrollees for its Citizens’ Police Academy. This 9-week program is an inside look at how MPD works, and how you as a citizen can partner with MPD to keep your community safe. People I know who have been through this program have praised it highly. Classes will meet Tuesday nights starting September 4 from 6 to 9 PM. If you’re interested in signing up, call the South Main Station at 901-636-4099 for more information.

Bleu is starting a 3-4-5 happy hour. Monday-Friday from 4-7 PM, they will have drafts for $3, wine for $4, and liquors for $5.

Saw this on Twitter: Action News 5 broadcast from August 16, 1977, the day Elvis died.

There’s a site called Free the Helmsman where you can donate toward the operation of the Daily Helmsman, the campus newspaper of the University of Memphis. The newspaper makes some revenue from ads, but up until now they’ve depended on the university for funding as well. They want to be fully funded without having to depend on money from the people they report on. You support the concept of the free press when you make a donation on this site.

There will be a Spirit of the King concert tonight at the Cannon Center at 11 PM. It will feature past winners of the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist contest. This year’s tribute artist contest seminfinal, round two happens at the Cannon Center at 7 tonight.

Over at the Hard Rock Cafe, it will be Movie Night with Elvis. Elvis tribute artists will sing songs from Elvis’ movies. Start time is 10:30 PM. $5 cover will benefit MIFA and Presley Place.

My top non-Elvis live music recommendation for this evening: ’80s hair band cover band Aquanet plays Club 152 at 9 PM. This is most definitely worth a trip through the security line on Beale.

The Godfather II is the Summer Movie Series movie tonight at the Orpheum, 7:15 PM. More info here.

The Redbirds are having Organ Donor Awareness Night tonight at AutoZone Park. First 2000 fans will receive a replica Organ Donor Jersey. This night was named the best theme night in Minor League Baseball for 2011. Game time 7:05. Block party in the plaza for the two hours prior to game time, with $2 Coors Light.

The theme at the Memphis Farmers Market tomorrow is Chunka Hunka Grillin’ Love. When you think farmers’ market, you think vegetables, but MFM has fish, seafood, pork, red meat and poultry vendors who make grilling delicious. Kids can make their own lunch bag from 9 to 10:30, and there will be music by Efron White at 8 and BEAN at 11.

Quick lunch then back for a few more hours of fun with clip art. Fun fact I learned this week: Microsoft Internet Explorer won’t display CMYK images. Thanks to IE for adding hours and hours to what should have been a simple project. Anyway, I’ll be out somewhere after 6, no definite plans for tonight.