Congratulations to Memphis 901 FC, who have clinched a spot in the playoffs this season. Memphis sits in second place in the USL Eastern Conference, having accumulated 55 points. The squad has a home match vs. Charleston Battery this Friday.
If you’ve been to Max’s Sports Bar, you may have noticed the 2012 and 2017 group photos hanging by the corner table. Well, get ready and save the date… Real 2 Reel Photography will take a 2022 group photo on Monday, October 17 at 5:30 PM.
The Gray Canary is updating its hours effective next week:
- Tuesday-Thursday: 4:30 PM-10:00 PM
- Friday-Saturday: 4:30 PM-10:30 PM
For those of you who have missed the pool table at the Blind Bear, it will be back today.
My friend Dorchelle Spence will have a book signing for her book Into the Gathering Clouds tonight at Novel Memphis at 6 PM.
The Silly Goose is having a grand opening this Thursday starting at 7 PM.
The Green Beetle posted “Just a little while longer” before they complete their renovations and reopen.
Let’s have a look at college football games of interest to Memphians coming up this Saturday:
- 1 Georgia at South Carolina, 11:00 AM, ESPN
- 12 BYU at 25 Oregon, 2:30 PM, FOX
- 20 Ole Miss at Georgia Tech, 2:30 PM, ABC
- 22 Penn State at Auburn, 2:30 PM, CBS
- UL Monroe at 2 Alabama, 2:30 PM, SEC Network
- Mississippi State at LSU, 5:00 PM, ESPN
- Missouri State at 10 Arkansas, 6:00 PM, SEC Network
- Akron at 15 Tennessee, 6:00 PM, SEC Network
- Arkansas State at Memphis, 6:00 PM, ESPN+
- South Florida at 18 Florida, 6:30 PM, SEC Network
- 13 Miami at 24 Texas A&M, 8:00 PM, ESPN
Lots and lots of Power Five schools playing cream puffs this week. I wonder who’ll pull off the upset? I’m hoping for Akron.
A group of teens were arrested near Beale Street for auto burglary and possession of stolen property. They were seen breaking into cars in the alley. One of the group had a stolen gun. The teens ranged in age from 15 to 18. This has led City Council to vote on whether to enforce a curfew ordinance for teens already on the books.
The MBJ reports that Esco Restaurant & Tapas is coming to Downtown Memphis. The location will be on Lt. George Lee Avenue just south of Beale.
From FiveThirtyEight: Should Alabama be worried that it almost lost to Texas?
Today is International Peanut Day. I’m sure you can guess my recommendation to celebrate: A visit to the Peanut Shoppe at 121 S. Main.
That’ll do it for today’s post. Back tomorrow.